If you live in India like me, or are in a place with a tropical climate, the monsoon season is in full swing. While the weather can be awesome for some of us, there’s no denying that a lot of skin troubles also have their roots in the monsoon season. Some of these are wild, untameable frizz, oily skin, pimple breakouts and rashes! I have combination skin with an oily t-zone, and I marvel at how much oil suddenly appears on my nose during the rains, and well, Murphy’s law makes it so this happens just before an interview or date..ugh. Along the way, I’ve found my own balance of a skin care regime that prevents nasty or annoying skin problems. Here are some useful skin tips for monsoon that you could try out!
- Never skip on toner: Most of us tend to leave out the ‘T’ from our CTM routines, but the importance of toning your skin increases during the monsoon. This is to prevent infections and breakouts that are common during the monsoon season. Use an alcohol-free toner that’s gentle on your skin – you could try Fabindia Rose Water or the L’Occitane Angelica Face Toner and gently dab it onto your face with an organic cotton pad to tone your skin. Toning will help minimize impurities and bring radiance to your skin.
- Cleanse and exfoliate well: One of the most important skin tips for monsoon to remember is – don’t wash your face too often. During monsoons, the weather causes the skin to get a bit oily depending on your type. Washing it often tends to stimulate your skin to produce even more oil during this time. So remember to wash not more than twice a day. Stick to cream-based cleansers that don’t sap your skin of the moisture.Exfoliate your facial skin with a gentle scrub once a week to slough off dead skin cells and retain your glow. You could also alternatively try an easy at-home face pack – will be covering some DIYs soon!
- Sunscreen still matters: No matter how dark and cloudy it may seem outside, that doesn’t mean the sun’s on vacation. It’s still around, though you can’t see it. Sneaky, yes, so you have to be prepared. Make sure you always wear a layer of sunscreen with a medium SPF when you’re outdoors to minimize the risks of the harmful UV rays. I personally love Neutrogena’s Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen after I use my regular moisturizer.
- Go light on the makeup: There’s a time when you can experiment with eye makeup and foundation, but the monsoon season isn’t it. The humidity can cause makeup meltdowns, and the general moisture in the air doesn’t make for a good combination with makeup. If you must, use a light BB cream and smear-proof kajal with your favourite tinted lip balm.
- Drink tons of water: This is one of those things that can’t be emphasized enough! The weather during monsoons and winter tends to make us less thirsty. Don’t let that stop you – there are apps like these for a reason 🙂 drink a few sips of water every hour and your skin will thank you for it! Water keeps it fresh and moisturized so you don’t look dull and dehydrated.
These are some of the tips that you definitely should keep in mind for this season so you’re always looking fresh and feeling great! 🙂 For more on beauty & fashion everyday, you can catch me on Twitter & Facebook. Look forward to tons of more features like this in Beauty.