Hi guys! If you’ve been following my Instagram stories and seen this post, you’d know that I headed to Bali on my birthday on a fun vacation with When In City! Watch out for the full travelogue soon, but meanwhile I thought I should share some packing tips with you with all the long weekends coming up. Packing for a vacation can be rather annoying or really fun depending on the kind of person you are. I personally dislike packing and try to keep it up to the last minute most of the time.
To start with, here are a few basic tips and tricks to pack makeup and skincare for a vacation.
- Pack light: There’s no need to haul your entire makeup collection along with you on a vacation. No, you’re not going to need that 36-shadow palette (but it’s so pretty! Nope, resist the temptation) on your trip. Pack only the essentials, like your basic CTM routine, a light foundation for evenings and a tinted moisturizer for the mornings, eyeliner, and 3-4 lipsticks or lip glosses depending on what you prefer. Makeup wipes or remover is also very handy.
- Travel sizes work best: If you have samples from a recent makeup store visit or one of those beauty subscription boxes, this is the time to use them well! Carry travel-sized shampoos, face washes and lotions that you can use up during the trip itself and save space on. You can also transfer
- Organize well: Use a travel pouch or makeup organizer to keep all your stuff safe and to avoid spillage. I personally use two pouches, one for my makeup and the other for skincare products and keep them sandwiched in between clothes so they stay safer. Smaller things like lipsticks can be stored in the top compartment of the suitcase or in my handbag.
- Go for multi-purpose products: Here’s another easy way to pack makeup and skincare for a vacation. Instead of lugging together lots of things separately, go for products with multiple uses, like a tinted moisturizer with SPF instead of carrying foundation and sunscreen, or a shampoo with conditioner.
I have two pouches – the pink one is from Nykaa and I got the sleek black one from a trip to Malaysia when I was a kid – it’s always been very handy for travel.
Here’s what I packed in my black pouch:
- Bioderma Sebium Hydra: This is the daily moisturizer recommended to me by a cosmetic dermatologist from Heler for my dry skin, to keep it hydrated. If you have dry skin too, I would highly recommend this as a way to keep your skin soft and less flaky.
- Bioderma Photoderm Anti Age Sunscreen SPF 30: I layer this over the Sebium Hydra – it’s a must have, wherever you go to protect your skin from UV rays.
- Gillette Venus Breeze razor: It’s always handy to have a razor just in case you need a quick grooming when on the go.
- Organic cotton pads: These are a blessing to use when taking off makeup or when using toner.
- Banjara’s Rose Water (not pictured): This is a tiny travel sized bottle of rose water that I use as a skin toner. Very handy for travel.
- Lancome Bi-Facil Double Action Eye Makeup Remover: Hands down one of the best makeup removers I’ve tried – it doesn’t leave much of an oiliness on your skin after using and gets all the makeup off in one swipe. Works on lipstick too.
- Kronokare Aromatherapy City Detox Face Wash: I got this in one of the My Envy Boxes a while ago. It smells amazing and makes skin feel squeaky clean. Also travel sized!
- L’Oreal Vitamino Color Shampoo: I’ve been using this lately for my colour-treated hair and it’s pretty good.
- Forest Essentials Honey & Vanilla Conditioner: This makes my hair smell great.
- Kiehl’s Powerful Wrinkle Reducing Cream: I got this as a sample and use it as a night cream these days.
- The Body Shop Born Lippy Lip Balm in Strawberry: This one’s a classic that keeps my lips soft and safe from chapping.
The pink pouch had my makeup stuff – I kept it minimal since Bali is a beach destination and minimalism is key!
- Hand mirror I got as a gift from Innisfree on shopping with them
- Isadora Nude Cushion Foundation: This is a very light coverage foundation that’s perfect for when you’re travelling.
- Colorbar Full Cover Makeup Stick: My go-to concealer most of the time.
- Random body lotion and shower gel samples: They were the perfect travel size so I took them along.
- Nykaa Paintstix in Peaches and Cream: This is a fun summer colour that I thought would work well for days on the beach and out on the road.
- Bite Beauty Butter Cream Lipstick in Pecan: A soft, creamy nude shade of lipstick I recently bought.
- MAC Retro Matte Lipstick in Ruby Woo: A classic red lipstick for nights out, goes with everything!
- Colorbar Just Smoky Kajal in Just Electra, Sephora Contour Eye Pencil in Surfer Babe, MAC Modern Twist Kajal Liner in New Marine and Maybelline 24 Hour Colossal Kajal: My favourite eye pencils for quick, simple makeup on the go.
So here’s how I got to pack makeup and skincare for a vacation, and it completely lasted me throughout the trip! Keep these points in mind and you’ll never be confused again on how much to take or what to take. If you don’t have travel size products, just empty some of your products into travel sized bottles – they’re available at Forever21 easily!
For more travel tips, makeup tips and more, keep following the blog. Follow us on Instagram for a peek behind the scenes into events, unboxing exciting stuff, and a lot more!