Every year, the Met Gala is an event the fashion world looks out for, and each year brings with it a new theme. There’s so much excitement over who’s wearing what, and there have been some iconic looks like Beyonce’s 2015 Givenchy gown or Alexa Chung’s Philip Lim tuxedo. It’s a true celebration of fashion as art, where dresses may require their own staff to carry them, or light up or do other interesting things we’ve not seen before.
The Met Gala 2017 has, for the first time, a living designer as the theme for the event, Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons. Known for her avant-garde creations, she was named one of the most influential and important designers of the past forty years by the Costume Institute’s curator in charge, Andrew Bolton. Here are some of the best looks from the Met Gala that were true to the theme.
- Rihanna’s Comme des Garçons couture dress seemed like a celebration of her vivacious and bold character, where, true to form she totally outdid herself. This is easily one of the most out-of-the-box dresses seen at the event and I love how she absolutely SLAYED both when it came to her makeup and the dress itself. Though I can’t help but wonder how one could sit wearing this. Behold:
Also these shoes were the only possible choice to wear with something this spectacular.
- Cara Delevingne sported a rather futuristic, space alien meets couture Chanel hand-embroidered suit which strangely seems to work. The suit is well-tailored and chic, and the silver head paint somehow gives the whole outfit a sense of completion.
- Lupita Nyong’o looked absolutely flawless as always, in Prada, and on point with her bold choice in a lovely coral colour that looks great on her. The dress manages to be unique, while it isn’t completely ‘out there’. The ruffles extend to the side too, making for a lovely addition to the dress.
- I absolutely love this look on Reese Witherspoon. Has that one avant-garde element while being very form-fitting and elegant. She wore a custom Mugler with Jimmy Choo heels.
- At the Met Gala 2017, Julianne Moore stunned in Calvin Klein by Appointment, and her dress had handpainted feathers on it. I think this dress was a burst of sunshine on the red carpet with those lovely Spring colours. A stunner.
- Tracee Ellis Ross looks gorgeous in this Comme de Garçons structured dress. The geometric silhouette ends up being interesting and suits her really well.
- I also loved this gorgeous blue power suit with embellished stones on French model Aymeline Valade.
What were your favourite looks from the Met Gala 2017? The most memed ones so far have been Katy Perry’s Maison Margiela outfit and Priyanka Chopra’s trench dress (which I actually really liked, but the makeup made it fall a little short).For more from the world of fashion, the latest runways and more, follow us on Twitter. Follow our Instagram and Snapchat stories for lots of fun behind the scenes, live event updates, tutorials, and a lot more!