The winter season brings with it warm quilts, hot chocolate and festive celebrations. But what it also brings is dry or flaky skin and chapped lips. Here’s a comprehensive list of winter skin care tips to get you through the season!
The Best Winter Skin Care Tips
- Buy the right moisturizer: Before you reach for that oh-so-pretty looking bottle of moisturizer, or that tub of body butter because it smells good enough to eat, think. Is it the right one for your skin type? If you have dry skin, look for oil-based and cream-based ingredients such as jojoba oil, milk cream, etc. For oily skin that still needs to stay hydrated, go for gel-based moisturizers that will be light on the skin and yet keep it optimally moisturized.
- Apply moisturizer when just out of the shower: The best time to apply moisturizer is when your skin is slightly damp after you’ve taken a shower. That’s when your skin will be able to absorb it faster, and it’ll also keep your skin hydrated through the day.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen: Just because the sun seems to be playing hide and seek (perpetually hiding), doesn’t make the application of sunscreen any less important. The clouds may hide the sun but they won’t filter out the UV rays. Always wear a layer of sunscreen when you do your face makeup or choose a foundation or tinted moisturizer with good SPF.
- Avoid very hot water: Yes, I know that the thought of a lovely steaming hot bath in the freezing cold is tempting. However, the ideal temperature to keep your skin protected would be warm to lukewarm. Very hot water not only potentially could scald you but also saps moisture from your skin, making it drier than it would have been before you took the shower. Stick to lukewarm water to soak or shower in.
- Exercise: This is one of the most important winter skin care tips. The weather may make you feel like hibernating but exercising is just as important in winter as it is at other times of the year. Exercise keeps your blood circulation in check and also keeps your skin in great health – it’ll give you that warm wintery glow instead of the Rudolph nose that you probably have right now. So stay active, even if it’s just 20 minutes of jogging or skipping.
- Don’t neglect your hands, feet and lips: Invest in a good moisturizing hand cream that’ll prevent your hands from getting dry or cracked. There are quite a few good brands out there ranging from Vaseline to L’Occitane or Crabtree & Evelyn. Keep your lips soft and moisturized with a hydrating lip balm with SPF. Scrub them once a week to avoid flaking. For your feet, invest in a slightly more heavy foot cream formula. Massage foot cream into your feet and then wear a pair of warm socks to keep your feet soft and smooth.
That’s it for now 🙂 keep these winter skin care tips in mind and incorporate a few of them gradually ino your routine. I’m sure that’ll see you through the season with healthy, soft and well-hydrated skin. For more updates, tips, and fun stuff, catch my updates on Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat (sartorial.s).