New York Fashion Week saw some of the most experimentative looks on the runway for Spring 2016. From the bold to the offbeat, there was every possible kind, for eyes, lips and hair. Most of the beauty looks exuded confidence, boldness and colour. There was a lot to choose from, whether it was a glam swipe of glitter on the eyelids at Creatures of the Wind or the no-makeup makeup look seen across runways. Here’s my curation of the best beauty trends to watch out for this Spring from New York Fashion Week.
- Blue Splash: Metallic blues and greens were seen at Diane von Furstenberg – applied to make it appear like a refreshing wash of colour on the eyelids while keeping the rest of the makeup minimal. At Marc Jacobs, it took a turn for the punk, with models sporting messy bright brush strokes of blue paint on the upper eyelids. Verdict: Embrace aqua colours like deep sapphire blue, sea green and navy.
- Manicure with a twist: The French manicure took a turn for the modern at Tibi and Monique Lhullier. Instead of your regular white tips, switch it up with bright green or oxblood! At Jonathan Simkhai, make-up artists swiped black or metallic nailpolish all the way around the nail instead of just on the tips. Cushnie et Ochs had a vamp-ish interpretation of the classic French manicure, with angular oxblood tips.
- The ‘Cool Girl’ Smoky Eye: The urban girl smoky eye seen at Nicole Miller is worth trying out. It has a relaxed, ‘cool-girl’ vibe about it, with asphalt grey eyeshadow blended into the eyelids to look messy and give off an urban tomboy vibe.
- Bold & bright lips: A stand-out lip was the common theme seen at Marchesa, Jason Wu and Givenchy to name a few. Think bold pinks, corals, and crimson with the key here being that the bright lips are the focus that transform your overall look. The rest of the face was kept bare and minimalistic with barely-there kohl and foundation blended for a natural glow.
- Dialled up glam: The models at Creatures of the Wind had on fierce metallic gold eyeshadow, blended to create an edgy glamorous look. I loved how Givenchy too seemed to celebrate individuality. Sparkle and shine on, ladies.
- Adorned hair: At Rodarte, models wore hair in loose waves, with embellished mini combs and ornamental hair barrettes. Elaborate headbands gave models a regal look at Givenchy and it was clear that hair accessories will be the order of the day this Spring, though flower crowns are on their way out unless you’re attending something like Coachella.
- Rock that cut: There was so much experimentation on the runway this season, with models sporting everything, from shaved sides, to mullets and fringes. The thought behind the versatility is that of celebrating individualism, of different personalities and being able to express oneself through one’s hair.
What are your favourite Spring 2016 beauty trends? Watch out for a ton of new looks this coming Spring from me, where you’ll see quite a few of these looks! For all updates on what’s happening on Sartorial Secrets, stay tuned to my Facebook page or my Twitter handle right here.